Summertime makes me want to bring out the grill. And, this recipe is fabulously perfect for that!
And packed with amazing flavor…
Like a good steak should be.
(p.s. the secret’s in the marinade and the salsa! They were made for each other.)
Now, before I get to this recipe, I know I’m not letting out any secrets by telling you that I’m a huge fan of Cooking Light magazine. But, I think their April 2013 issue broke the record of the total number of recipes I want to make out of a single issue.
Out of about ~80 recipes, I’ll end up making 50 of them. Yes! Crazy, right?
However, it’s recipes like this that I so easily get distracted by. I’m telling you, this baby is absolutely divine. A perfectly grilled steak topped with the lightest, freshest avocado-lime salsa. One bite, and the fresh flavor will literally explode in your mouth.
Perfect for those warm summer days when you’re ready to grill!
Now, back to my April 2013 issue dilemma…to choose the Top 5 recipes I want to make (and then share with you!), would be extremely difficult because there are so many. Plus the fact I keep getting distracted with making other great recipes like this one, I may never get them all made…So many recipes, so little time.
But, I’m going to try to define my Top 5 picks:
- Main Dishes [Chicken]: Chicken Cutlets with Tarragon-Mushroom Sauce
- Main Dishes [Fish]: Thai Shrimp Cakes
- Main Dishes [Pasta]: Poblano Mac and Cheese
- Sandwiches: Open-Faced Apricot-Chipotle Chicken Club
- Desserts: Dark Cherry Merlot Sauce over Yogurt
I have to admit…when I saw the picture of the Dark Cherry Merlot Sauce over the yogurt, my mouth watered uncontrollably.
I might’ve drooled…
It wasn’t pretty.
I’m telling you ~ that’s a sure sign it’s really, really good. Stay tuned.
In the meantime, you’ll find me enjoying this delectable steak.
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 4 ribeye steaks, trimmed (6 ounce each)
- 1 large tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium ripe avocado, chopped
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a small bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Pour ½ cup into a resealable plastic bag. Add steaks, seal the bag and turn to coat steaks with the marinade. Marinate at least 8 hours or overnight. Store and refrigerate the remaining marinade to use as basting when cooking the steaks.
- Combine all salsa ingredients, cover and chill in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Drain and discard the marinade from the steaks. Grill (covered) on medium heat (basting with reserved marinade) until desired doneness.
- Serve topped with avocado salsa.
Recipe adapted from Taste of Home Grill It issue Summer 2013.