Easy No-Waste {Guilt Free} Fresh Apple Juice

This Easy No-Waste {Guilt Free} Fresh Apple Juice uses the peels and cores from apples to make a great tasting, natural Apple Juice that’s so much better than store-bought.

Happy Labor Day everyone!

Today’s Question Is:  What is your favorite type of apple?

It’s September, and I’m kicking off apple season in a big way ~ with a fresh apple juice recipe.  But, it wasn’t easy getting here, let me tell you.

Spoiler Alert: parents – kids are fibbers!

Apple Juice | Inspiration Kitchen

Not kidding.  They are!  🙂

If you’re a parent, maybe you already knew this, but since I don’t have kids, this was a real shocker for me.  Take these apples for instance.

When I saw the boys sneaking them from the apple tree, I said “Boys, those apples aren’t ripe!  They’re going to give you a belly ache!”  “YES they are!!!!!” they replied with all the enthusiasm they could muster.  “Ok, I believe you.”  Let me just say – #dumbestideaever

Apple Juice | Inspiration KitchenNow, I do realize that the boys and I are a looooong way apart in years, but hey…I figured, if Mikey likes it, I’m good.  The boys said they were ripe and they were eating them with enthusiasm.

So, a week later, Eve (e.g. me) plucked one from the tree and took a big healthy bite.

Apple Juice 02 | Inspiration KitchenFriends, my face screwed up like Cruella de Vil when she stole the puppies!

Super sour, tart face, stomping foot on ground, puckered up is not a sexy look, let me tell you.

So, I handed it to The Husband.  🙂

Apple Juice Collage | Inspiration Kitchen

Isn’t that what you do when something tastes or smell bad?  Hand it to the person you love and say “Here, try this!”  And, you say it enthusiastically too so they’ll be sure and try it!

Ever done that?

Well, he puckered up like a baked apple that went from a crisp, ripe, young age to a weathered, wrinkled, tired 98 year old sourpuss!  Yep…, I was right.  Not ripe.

Apple Juice | Inspiration KitchenThus…, that is how I came to the conclusion that kids fib.  Silly boys!

Now for the fine print:

Because my apples were really, really tart (pucker UPPPPP!!!…  I picked them in mid-August instead of September – YIKES!  Don’t do that!!!), I needed to use more sugar to balance out the tartness.  But, the apple juice that resulted was still so much better (and less sugary) than store-bought.  If you use sweeter apples (or apples that are actually IN season 🙂 ) feel free to use less sugar.  Just taste the nectar as you go.  And, add sugar slowly (if at all).

TIP:  please, please, please do not get lazy with the straining.  You want all that apple mash out of that juicy, deliciousness!  I strained this with a fine strainer once, and TWICE using cheesecloth!  The result was a crisp, fresh apple juice with nearly no-pulp!

Enjoy!

Easy Apple Juice

This easy, no-waste, guilt-free, fresh Apple Juice uses the peels and cores from apples to make a great tasting, natural Apple Juice that's so much better than store-bought.
Author:
Recipe type: Drinks
Ingredients
  • Peels and cores from 5 pounds of Granny Smith apples
  • Water*
  • ½ cup white sugar* (see notes)
Instructions
  1. Place the peels and cores from 5 pounds of Granny Smith apples in a large stock pot.
  2. Cover with just enough water to cover apples peels and cores.
  3. Stir in ½ cup sugar.
  4. Heat on high heat until boiling. Then, reduce heat to Medium-Low or Low heat and continue simmering for 30-45 minutes.
  5. Strain juice through a sieve or cheesecloth to remove solid pieces. Store in an airtight container and chill until cold. Use within 3-5 days.
Notes
The amount of water you use will depend on the yield of your apple peels and cores. You want just enough water to barely cover the peels and cores for the best flavor. You MAY be able to reduce or omit the sugar, depending on the type of apple you use. I used Granny Smith apples that were VERY tart, which is why they needed sugar to balance the tartness!
I cooked my apple juice for 45 minutes, then removed it from the heat and let it rest 15 minutes before straining and transferring to an airtight container.
***NOTE*** I strained this apple juice 3 times. First in a fine strain colander, then twice through cheesecloth to remove apple mash and sediment.

***In this recipe, I used the peels and cores from 5 pounds of Granny Smith apples. And, with those apple scraps, this recipe yielded 48 ounces of fresh Apple Juice.

Recipe modified from All Recipes @ Fresh Apple Juice.

Comments

1. says

Hahaha! Tart apples are unfit to eat in my eyes—it’s gotta be a sweet ‘n’ crisp apple or I won’t touch it! I discovered Ambrosia apples at our local orchard last fall and I was HOOKED. Can’t wait to get my hands on some more this year! I think I shall use them first to make this apple juice—it looks SO easy, Kristi!
    Sarah@WholeandHeavenlyOven recently posted…Ultimate Gluten-Free Fudge BrowniesMy Profile

• says

I’ve never had Ambrosia apples before ~ so I’m definitely going to have to try them! Thanks for the referral! Yes ~ if you make anything with your apples, save the peels and cores to make apple juice! Straining is the key though…

2. says

This is definitely a great recipe to kick of the apple season with, Kristi! I’m so amazing that you made apple juice. It sounds delicious! And I never knew how easy it was to make. Pinning! 🙂 And I can eat tart apples, but I much prefer honey crisp, gala, or granny smith ones!
    Gayle @ Pumpkin ‘N Spice recently posted…Summer FavoritesMy Profile

• says

Thanks for the pin Gayle! I’ve don’t think I’ve ever had a Honey Crisp apple before ~ I’m definitely going to need to try them. I think sweeter apples would be awesome for this and way less sugar! Have a great week.

3. says

Hahaha oh no! I can totally picture you doing that and yup – handing them to your husband was the ONLY way to go 😉 Lol – yup, they certainly do fib and it starts as soon as they learn to talk bahaha. Love that you made apple juice with the apples – perfect way to use up those tart ones! Pinning 🙂

4. says

hahahaah!!!!!! That expression must have been a million-dollar one!!!!! 😀 This apple juice is just brilliant Kristi!!!!! I’ve never attempted making my own apple juice {what a shame} mostly because I didn’t know how to! But now I do! Thank God I won’t have to buy the preservative laden apple juice cartons from the supermarket! hehehe! Love this!
    Samina | The Cupcake Confession recently posted…Peanut Butter and Chocolate Smoothie { 3 ingredients; Vegan}My Profile

• says

You too Juliana! I found this recipe and thought it was such a great use of leftovers ~ and you’ll be surprised at the great flavor that the peels and cores impart! Have a beautiful week!

5. says

I love Pink Ladies for eating and Granny Smiths for baking! I saw Gayle mention Honey Crisps above and I love those too but I haven’t seen them in forever. I don’t know why but I just love that you made apple juice from the peels and flesh! It makes me feel like you are Sally Housewife or something. Looks delicious!

ps- I’ve know children are liars from a very young age…I have a little brother! 😉
    Lindsey @ American Heritage Cooking recently posted…Fiery Chili Chicken Burgers with Cool Lemon Mint Yogurt SauceMy Profile

• says

Hahahahaha! Hahahahaha! I ALOL! I never had a little brother (or sister!). Gosh, I am *so* naive! 🙂 Oh yes, Lindsey, ask ALL my friends, I am so NOT Sally Housewife. I am DYING over that! And, just so you know, I have never even heard of Pink Ladies!!! But, I’m looking them up now to see if we even have those here. Sistah, I always learn something new from you. And, you know I love that!

• says

Did you!?! They are so sweet and crisp. Yumm. They are my favorite apple for juicing.

Oh I think I’ve gathered you aren’t Sally Housewife but it still makes me picture you like that and it makes me smile. I feel that way when I make stock. My husband hasn’t had canned stock in years and I don’t think he knows how lucky he is 😉

• says

Homemade stock is the BEST!!! And, if your husband forgets how lucky he is, honey…you know my #…have him call me. I’ll set him straight. 🙂 I like the ‘idea’ of being Sally Housewife, and I *know* that you know that I’m the furthest thing from that. Hahaha! Thanks for the laugh Lindsey!

• says

Thanks Christin! I love Gala apples too! I love the crispness ~ and when I took them to the barn for the horses ~ I think they were their favorite too!!! At least their faces didn’t screw up like they did when they ate Granny Smiths! Hahahaha!

• says

Hahahaha! I’m so glad you laughed. I LOL every single time a reader has said they laughed at my post. It makes my heart smile. I think that’s what life is all about ~ having a good time. Thanks for comment Judit + Corina! You both made my day!

6. says

Oh, what a great idea to make apple juice from apple scraps! I’ll definitely do that next time I’ll peel apples – which is very soon! My favorite apple is one caller Mutso (I think it’s Danish…) – it is the perfect combination of sweet and sour and extremely “crunchy” 😀
    Josefine {The Smoothie Lover} recently posted…Plum TartsMy Profile

• says

Wow Josefine – I’ve never heard of that apple, but the way you describe it, it sounds amazing and something that I’d love to sink my teeth into! I am LOVING the extremely “crunchy” part. That apple is right up my tree. 🙂 (p.s. I couldn’t help myself – haha!)

7. Philip @ MyJuiceCleanseRecipes says

“An apple a day keep’s the doctor away” haha what a silly rhyme! This is an eye-opening making juice out of apple scraps but I believe its where the nutrients resides. I’ll try this at home.
    Philip @ MyJuiceCleanseRecipes recently posted…Avocado Parsley SmoothieMy Profile