Easy Microwave Potato Chips

These Easy Microwave Potato Chips are so crispy, crunchy and totally snackable! You will love them, and they’re ready in just minutes!

Who doesn’t love a good crispy, crunchy snackable chip loaded with the flavor of sea salt?Microwave Potato Chips | Inspiration KitchenYou got your snack on?  Because we’re going there.

If you’ve got potatoes, within minutes, you could be eating chips.  And I promise you, they are so much better than store bought!  They’re super simple to make, and if you use fingerling potatoes like I did, then you get pretty colors too!

I always try to pick the bag with purple, red and yellow potatoes in it so that I have a rainbow of colored chips!

Microwave Potato Chips | Inspiration KitchenI purposely took quite a few pictures while making these, so that you could see what they looked like when I did them.  My results were so good, that I thought my readers would appreciate knowing how I got them so crispy and crunchy!

You can see in the photo above that the purple and red chips look a bit dried out.  That’s OK!  Part of that is due to me snapping photos for an hour, but what I realized as a result, is that I think it really helped them get crispy and crunchy because they didn’t have much excess water in them!

Microwave Potato Chips | Inspiration KitchenI absolutely love the way the purple potatoes look when they are cut! They have a variation of colors that sort of look like flower petals.  So pretty!  But see how they’ve sort of dried out a bit here?

No worries, they really weren’t out that long while I photographed them, but I had cut them in paper thin slices using my mandoline.

If you have a mandoline, you know what I’m talking about! On the thin setting, you’ll get your chips perfectly thin and ready for crisping!

Microwave Potato Chips | Inspiration KitchenI’m not really crazy about this photo of them in the bag, but I wanted to show you how dull they might look when you pick them up at the store.  Again, you can see an assortment of purple, red and white potatoes – which is exactly what I wanted!  What I also love is they are smaller than say a russet potato, so they make nice, small, snackable chips – and they’re cute too!  :-)  Who doesn’t like a cute chip?  It’s a cute little chippy!  😉

Sliced up, they’re about the size of a quarter, or maybe a .50 piece, if you remember those!

And, you can make them for cents on the dollar too!  No more pricey potato chip bags!

Microwave Potato Chips | Inspiration KitchenAnd, look how well they clean up when washed.  So pretty!

Microwave Potato Chips | Inspiration KitchenNow one word of warning…provided you don’t slice your fingers off using the mandoline :-)  if you happen to have one of those cushioned mats in your kitchen like I do (see below), whatever you do, don’t drop a chip, because you’ll likely never see it.  See?

And, the next thing you know, you’ll find it stuck to the bottom of your heel.

Chippy down!

Microwave Potato Chips | Inspiration KitchenHow do you stack up?  Will you be making chips today?

What’s you’re favorite color?

Microwave Potato Chips | Inspiration KitchenEnjoy!

Easy Microwave Potato Chips

These Easy Microwave Potato Chips are so crispy, crunchy and totally snackable! You will love them, and they're ready in just minutes!
Author:
Recipe type: Appetizers
Ingredients
  • 1 bag fingerling potatoes
  • olive oil
  • sea salt
Instructions
  1. Wash and thinly slice fingerling potatoes on thin setting using a mandoline slicer.
  2. Cover a microwave-safe plate with parchment paper. Brush olive oil on parchment paper (do NOT toss potato chips with olive oil!). Place potatoes in a single layer on the plate, being sure their edges do not touch (otherwise, they will stick together!). Sprinkle with sea salt.
  3. Place in microwave and heat on high for 2 and ½ to 3 minutes*. Watch them closely to be sure they do not get to brown.
  4. Remove from microwave and serve! Repeat process until all potatoes are crispy and crunchy!
Notes
*All microwaves are different in their heat settings. Be sure to watch and make sure your chips do not get to brown in color.

Recipe modified from The Kitchen on Food Network TV.

Easy Microwave Potato Chips

Comments

1. says

You’re my hero! I LOVE potato chips but I rarely buy them because, yeah, I’ll eat the whole dang bag. I always have tricolor fingerling potatoes too — they’re my favorite, so you know I’m making these pronto! What you said about the potatoes being dry is so true — I’d imagine the drier they are the crispier they get. And purple — that’s my favorite color chip. You know this is pinned. :)
    marcie recently posted…Roasted Beet Citrus Salad with Blood Orange VinaigretteMy Profile

• says

Thanks Marcie! I love being a hero! I love potato chips too, but every single time, we waste part of the bag. I hate wasting food. In addition to that, who knows what preservatives are in the bagged version of chips? Yet, these are freshly sliced, with a bit of olive oil and a sprinkle of salt. No more waste! Oh, and thank you Food Network! LOL :-) I love that show!

2. says

I LOVE chips so I’m so intrigued by this!! And I love that you used little pretty potatoes for these! I’ve never thought to put my potatoes in the microwave to crisp them up, but I will have to try this out!
    Izzy recently posted…The Greenest Chopped SaladMy Profile

• says

I saw this on Food Network TV Izzy and I just had to try it. I didn’t believe it either, but I had the potatoes, tried it and was WOW’d by it! We loved them so much, this is how I’m doing potatoes in the future! So, I’m so glad you like the idea!

• says

Hahaha! I never thought about that Judit + Corina, but you’re right – it IS dangerous to be able to make these chips so fast, easy and convenient! LOL

• says

Ooooo – you need a new mandoline Ruby! You will love how crispy and crunchy these are! So simple and you can make only enough for you, or for lots of people! :-)

• says

Thanks for the pin Danielle! I had seen them on the food TV shows before, but I’m so glad that I finally tried them. You will love them – you have to try it!

• says

Aren’t the purple ones great, Kathy? I loved having them so colorful, and we LOVED how crispy they got. So simple. Who knew? :-) I guess we did! LOL

• says

Thanks Juliana! That’s what we loved too – I love that you can make only what you need. So simple, easy and delish! Have a great week!

3. says

Oh my gosh Kristi, I am absolutely loving this healthier and easy microwave chip recipe! Our guilty junk food is potato chips (hehe I know so bad) so I can’t wait to try this! The rainbow potatoes are my favorite especially the pretty purple ones too :)

• says

So glad you like them Kelly! We LOVED how crispy these were – and I can imagine using a ton of different spices, not just sea salt! So easy and fast! :-)

• says

Thanks Karla! I loved the purple ones – they are so pretty! :-) And you’re right – potato chips are the perfect couch snacking recipe!

• says

Hahaha! Well, the microwave can’t be beat when you’re fighting time! So, even the neigh sayers use it – I just know they do! :-)

• says

I know – right? It’s a dangerous recipe when you can have crispy, crunchy chips in just minutes! And, you know what else I love? That you don’t waste an entire bag – you only make what you want to eat!

• says

They are called Purple Peruvians, Johlene! And, I think they taste great too! They’re smaller than other potatoes, but I loved them for their small size! If you get the BIG chips at the store, they just break into smaller pieces when you bite into them anyway. These don’t do that, because they’re a one-bite deal!

• says

Hahahaha! I know, right, Pamela! I didn’t know it either until I saw it on Food Network TV. Then, I was like “NO WAY!” I just happened to have some fingerlings in the house, and I tried it – and WAHLAH! They were amazing. It blew my foodie mind!

• says

YEAH! I’m so glad – they are called Purple Peruvian potatoes – the fingerlings come in 3 different kinds: Popular fingerling potatoes include the yellow-skinned Russian Banana, the orange-skinned French, and the Purple Peruvian. Although I have to admit, the ones in my bag were red, not orange! I would’ve loved orange ones! :-)

• says

Thanks for the pin Manali! They are so simple, you can’t believe it! On the Food Network TV show, they even bit into one so you could heard the crunch – and they were right – they were SUPER crunchy!!!

4. says

I just saw this on The Kitchen last week! I was intrigued and so happy to see your testimonial and know it works so well. The purple potatoes are the prettiest! You know…I think I should start looking at my microwave more creatively. I only just started microwaving bacon slices in there with a tray…so convenient.
    Monica recently posted…Pistachio-orange biscotti bitesMy Profile

• says

I don’t use my microwave often enough either Monica, and I really need to! It’s so convenient. Mine is a convection oven too – so I need to make more use of that! Yes, I think it was on The Kitchen that I saw it! Worked so perfectly! Have a great day!

5. says

Such a terrific idea!!! I’m going to try this with sweet potatoes, but I’m only going to buy one as I know I’ll eat them ALL!!

• says

Yes Sandhya! You can definitely make them in the microwave and they are amazingly crispy! You will love them. And, the best thing? You can make only what you want to eat – so no waste and no buying in bulk! :-) Enjoy! Have a great week!

Trackbacks